|SANILAC SHORES SHIPWRECK INFORMATION
|Charles A Street
|Charles S Price
|City of Genoa
|Col. A.B. Williams
|Eliza H Strong
|City Of Milwaukee
|| To Be
|Mary Alice B.
The coordinates are presumed to be accurate but we place no guarantee. Water depths may be off due to water level changes. Always evaluate weather conditions and divers abilities before diving any wreck. We are not recommending any of these dive destinations. We are only publishing information. Caution some wrecks may be out of the sport diving depth limit. Diving is a potentially dangerous activity. Neither Rec & Tec Dive Charters or its contributors accept responsibility for diving related injuries incurred by those who view this site. The materials at this site are for informational purposes only and are not intended to substitute for dive training. Site conditions change rapidly therefore wreck descriptions should not be relied upon before or during a dive.
Charles A. Street was a steamer that was 165' long. It was built in Grand Haven, MI in 1888. The engine some ribs and decking remain. This is a shallow dive with maximum depth of about 15 feet. The wreck is located about 11.5 miles north of Port Sanilac.
Charles S. Price was a freighter that was 504' long. It was built in 1910. The ship was lost in the storm of 1913. The ship lies upside down but there are holes in the hull that allow penetration. The wreck is located about 11 miles SE of Lexington Harbor.
Checotah was a scow schooner. It was built in Toledo, OH in 1870. The vessel ran into trouble in rough seas while in tow. It was cut loose and left to sink. Equipment remains on the bow as well as most of the hull, the stern is broken up and scattered. The wreck is located about 12.2 miles from Port Sanilac. Visibility can be very low at times.
City of Genoa was a steamer that was 301' long. It was built in West Bay City, MI. This ship was set on fire and sunk in Lake Huron. The wreck burned to the waterline but the prop, shaft and some machinery is at the wreck site. The site is located about 11.4 miles SE of Lexington Harbor.
Colonel A.B. Williams was a schooner that was 110' long. It cargo was coal when it went down. It now lies in 70'-80' of water in decent condition. The masts and cabin are missing but the rest of the wreck is still interesting. The wreck is located 12.5 miles NE of Port Sanilac.
Eliza H. Strong was a steamer that was 205' long. It was built in Marine City, MI in 1874. During the life of the ship it sunk three times. After raising and rebuilding it two times they let it rest. It was dynamited due to it being a navigational hazard. It lies in an upright position with the keel and some decking intact. Wreckage is scattered. It is located less than one mile E of the Lexington dock.
F.B. Gardner was built in 1855 in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. It was built as a 139' brig. Throughout the years the ship was reconstructed several times. It was converted from a brig to a bark then to a schooner then it was lengthened to a 177 foot barge. It sank in a shipping lane so it was dynamited. There is equipment scattered widely around the wreck site. It is located 6.5 miles NE of Port Sanilac.
John Breden was a 130' three-masted schooner that was built in Port Dalhousie, Ont. in 1862. The John Breden is completely broken up over a debris field of 600'. The ship's wheel, windlass, and anchors lie in this debris field. The wreck area is located 5.4 miles SE of Lexington Harbor.
City of Milwaukee was built in Cleveland in 1861. She was a schooner built with a distinctive, elegant figurehead, this one in the shape of a ferocious, open mouthed dragon. She sank in the store of 1875. The stern is disintegrated while her bow, with windlass and both anchors, is quite intact.
Mary Alice B was built in Duluth, Minnesota in 1931. She was a tugboat that was 65' long. The tug sank after taking on water and now lies on the bottom in very good condition. Silt kicks up easily inside the wreck. It is located about 6.2 miles ESE of Port Sanilac.
Canisteo was a wood steamer. She was launched in 1886 at Mount Clemens, MI. She was burned and scuttled on Oct. 25, 1920. The wreckage includes a large, four bladed propeller, hull planking and framing.
New York was a steam barge that was hauling lumber when it went down during heavy seas. The wreck is upright but a lot of it is broken up. There is machinery to explore. The engine which is still there was a twin oscillating steam engine. The wreck is located 12.3 miles from Port Sanilac. Visibility can be a problem on this wreck.
North Star was a steamer that was 300' long. It was built in 1888 in Cleveland, OH. The ship is in two pieces but lies in an upright position. The pilot house is intact. The wreck is located about 5.5 miles SE of Port Sanilac and 10 miles NE of Lexington.
Queen City was a steamer that was 292' long. It was built in Buffalo, N.Y. in 1848. The wreck is mostly but not all broken up with equipment and artifacts in the debris field. It is located about 9.3 miles SE from Lexington Harbor.
Regina was a steel freighter that was 250' long. It was built in 1907 in Scotland. There is a lot of speculation on how the ship sunk but the most recent theory is that the ship ran aground. There is a very large hole in the hull of the ship. The Regina rests upside down. The hole in the hull does provide some access to the inside of the wreck. The wreck is located about 6.5 miles NE of Lexington and about 7.5 miles SE of Port Sanilac.
Sport was a steel hulled tug that was 57' long. It was built in 1873 in Wyandotte, MI. The ship is upright and mostly intact. Some artifacts from the wreck are on the bottom a few feet from the wreck. The wreck is located 3 miles East of Lexington.